Share Tweet Share Email
Category: Students
Northern Illinois University College of Law was named the No. 2 school in the country on preLaw Magazine’s Employment Honor Roll list. As part of preLaw Magazine‘s Back to School 2020 issue, the NIU College of Law was recognized as a top school for outperforming all expectations when it comes to placing graduates in legal jobs. It was...
NIU’s College of Health and Human Sciences announced the winners of the 2020 Awards for Excellence in teaching, research and service during the online college meeting held Aug. 17. J. Mark Killmer, D. Scott Sibley and King Chung were each recognized for their significant contributions and named as this year’s recipients. J. Mark Killmer The Lankford Award for Excellence in Teaching is given...
The Northern Illinois University Center for Black Studies and the College of Visual and Performing Arts are hosting an art for social justice event, “Art and Soul.”  The event will be held Thursday, October 1, from 1 to 4 p.m. at the main entrance of the university on Castle Drive. The Huskie Bus Line buses will be...
The Illinois Science and Technology Coalition (ISTC) is highlighting the innovative research work of NIU Professors Elizabeth Gaillard and Tao Xu, both faculty members in the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry. Gaillard and Xu are among a select group of scholars from Illinois institutions tapped for the ISTC’s 2020 Researchers to Know list. The list...
Currently, 70.6% of Illinois households have completed their census form – either by mail, online or by phone. An additional 26.2% have been completed by enumerators or through administrative records for a total of 96.8% overall completion. However, local completion rates are lower, especially surrounding the NIU campus. Lower completion rates are problematic because things...
Supplemental Instruction (SI) is a series of weekly review sessions for students taking historically difficult courses.  SI is provided for all students in the course section who want to acquire effective learning strategies and develop an understanding of difficult course material and improve their grades. Attendance at sessions is usually voluntary. For you, the student,...
As part of a new initiative to support innovative pedagogy, 31 faculty members at NIU are participating in an Association of College and University Educators’ (ACUE) course on effective teaching. NIU’s participation in this program was fostered through a partnership between NIU’s Center for Innovative Teaching and Learning (CITL),  Academic Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (ADEI)...
Generations of politically engaged students have had their voices heard on NIU’s campus. From the Civil Rights Movement to the Vietnam War to every pivotal event in history, Huskies have responded in passionate and meaningful ways throughout the years. As the 2020 presidential election fast approaches and in celebration of NIU’s 125th anniversary, an upcoming...
DeAnna Harris-McKoy, NIU associate professor in the School of Family and Consumer Sciences, has been named director of NIU’s Specialization in Marriage and Family Therapy program. She replaces J. Mark Killmer who retired Sept. 1. Harris-McKoy is a licensed marriage and family therapist, researcher and social justice advocate with over a decade of clinical experience. Her...
Chris Gomes and Leandra Cacciatore Chris Gomes submitted his edTPA Feb. 23, two months before the Illinois State Board of Education decided this spring to waive that requirement for COVID-19. Passage of the edTPA, which measures a teacher-candidate’s competence in planning, instruction and assessment, is usually necessary to obtain licensure in Illinois and several other states. For that reason, Gomes...
Members of AFSCME Local 1890 recently made a gift of $750 to the Student Emergency Fund. The gift was made in honor of the university’s 125th anniversary and represents roughly $1.25 from each of the union’s more than 600 members. The chapter represents all clerical and paraprofessional staff at NIU. Originally, the leadership of the...
On Sept. 21, 2020, the University Libraries will host the presentation Challenges of Communiversity Organizing from 6-7 p.m. on Adobe Connect. Mark Schuller, a professor of anthropology and nonprofit and NGO studies at Northern Illinois University and affiliate at the Faculté d’Ethnologie, l’Université d’État d’Haïti, will discuss how faculty within the public university come into contact...
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 534