DREAM Action NIU and the Office for Undocumented Student Support will host the annual Undocumented Ally Training on Tuesday, March 23, from 9 a.m. to noon via Zoom. This training is for NIU faculty, staff and those who wish to become allies to undocumented students. This training focuses on how to assist, support and welcome cultural and intellectual diversity at NIU.
Participants will learn about:
- NIU and community resources for undocumented students.
- Immigration laws that affect undocumented students’ access to higher education.
- Educational obstacles encountered by undocumented students.
- Strategies to make their classrooms, departments or programs more undocumented friendly.
- Lessons learned from the student, staff and faculty perspectives.
The training will include a presentation by the Immigration Law Office of Jeremy Lime. An overview of demographics, undocumented students’ characteristics and implications for higher education will also be discussed. Suggestions will be provided about how to support incoming and currently enrolled undocumented NIU students.
The training will conclude with a panel of NIU students who will share their experiences as they transition and navigate college, academics and student life.
RSVP online by Saturday, March 20. This event is sponsored by the Office for Undocumented Student Support, DREAM Action NIU, Academic Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. For more information, call (630) 947-2486 or email [email protected].