The Office for Undocumented Student Support and DREAM Action NIU will host the annual fall Undocumented Ally Training on Tuesday, Nov. 24, from 9:00 a.m. to noon via Zoom. The office and organization offer information and training to those who wish to become allies to undocumented students. By supporting undocumented students, you can help create a welcoming campus and encourage cultural and intellectual diversity at NIU.
This training for NIU faculty, staff and the surrounding community focuses on how to effectively assist and support undocumented students on campus.
Participants will learn about:
- Updates on immigration laws that affect undocumented students’ access to higher education.
- Educational obstacles encountered by undocumented students.
- NIU and community resources for undocumented students.
- Strategies to make their classrooms, departments or programs more undocumented friendly.
- Lessons learned from the student, staff and faculty perspectives.
The training will include a presentation by the Immigration Law Office of Jeremy Lime. An overview of demographics, undocumented students’ characteristics and implications for higher education will also be discussed. Suggestions will be provided about how to support incoming and currently enrolled undocumented NIU students. The training will conclude with a panel of NIU students who will share their experiences as they transition and navigate to college, academics and student life.
RSVP online by Nov. 20. This event is sponsored by the Office for Undocumented Student Support, DREAM Action NIU, and Academic Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. For more information, call (630) 947-2486 or email [email protected].