DREAM Action NIU and the Office for Undocumented Student Support will host the annual Undocumented Ally Training on Thursday, March. 19, from 8:45 a.m. to 12 p.m. in the Capitol Room of the Holmes Student Center. This training for NIU faculty, staff and the surrounding community will focus on how to assist and support undocumented students on campus effectively.
Participants will learn about:
- Updates on immigration laws that affect undocumented students’ access to higher education.
- Educational obstacles encountered by undocumented students.
- NIU and community resources for undocumented students.
- How to make their classrooms, departments or programs more undocumented friendly.
- Lessons learned from the student, staff and faculty perspectives.
The training will include a presentation by the Immigration Law Office of Jeremy Lime. An overview of demographics, undocumented students’ characteristics and implications for higher education will also be discussed. Suggestions will be provided on how to support incoming and currently enrolled undocumented NIU students. The training will conclude with a student panel where NIU students will share their experiences as they transition and navigate to college, academics and student life.
Seating is limited, so RSVP online by March 6th, 2020. This event is sponsored by DREAM Action NIU, the Office for Undocumented Student Support, and Academic Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. For more information, call 815-753-2391 or email email@example.com.