Time is running out for submissions to the 125 Key NIU Moments project in honor of the university’s upcoming 125th anniversary. The deadline is also approaching for grant applications in support of special projects in 2020 that will help NIU celebrate its quasquicentennial.
Submit key moments
Entries can be made directly on the 125th anniversary website through Friday, May 17. A group of respected university and community leaders appointed by President Freeman will select the most representative entries, and each will be illustrated with photos and artwork from the NIU Regional History Center archives.
Key moment submissions should meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Enhanced NIU’s reputation
- Had a lasting effect
- Set direction for some significant period
- Been a cause for celebration
- Been a cause for deep reflection
- Had a significant impact on students
- Had a significant impact on the university community
- Built institutional pride
Apply for Grants
Planning an event or project for 2020? If it meets the following criteria, it may be eligible for a matching grant from the 125th Anniversary Fund:
- Supports the university’s mission, vision and values
- Has some existing funding that could be matched
- Will take place in calendar year 2020
- Will help build awareness of NIU’s impressive history and promising future
- Fosters new relationships and/or strengthens existing relationships
In most cases, successful proposals will be for events that are not part of ongoing annual programming. Funded events will be those that meet the aforementioned guidelines, offering value that will be enhanced by the extra funding. (Example: A lecture series improved by funding for a high-profile speaker).
Applications for 125th Anniversary matching funds will be accepted on the anniversary website through the end of September 2019.