Northern Illinois University has announced the 2017-18 winners of the Forward, Together Forward Scholarships.
In honor of the five Huskies whose lives were lost Feb. 14, 2008, Forward, Together Forward scholars must demonstrate a strength of character through traits such as a strong work ethic, motivation, inspiration, a high regard for others, integrity and intellectual curiosity.
This year’s recipients are:
- Juan Cibrian of Mapleton, IL, a junior double-major in psychology and Spanish business and translation
- Luis Flores of Oswego, IL, a junior nursing major with a minor in family and child studies
- Mitchell Huftalin of Rockford, IL, a sophomore double-major in communication studies and Spanish business and translation
- Zahra Muhsin of Dixon, IL, a senior English studies major, with a minor in psychology
- Tariana Sandkam of Buffalo Grove, IL, a junior nursing major
“Our Forward, Together Forward scholars are shining examples of NIU President Doug Baker’s vision for all NIU students – well-rounded and innovative scholars prepared for success and satisfaction in whatever paths they choose after graduation,” Executive Vice President and Provost Lisa Freeman said.
“These scholarships are awarded on the basis of not only strong academic performance but also selflessness and service to others,” Freeman added. “These students strive not only to improve themselves, but also to improve their peers and the world around them. As they work toward these goals, they honor the memory of five of their predecessors whose lives continue to make a difference through these awards.”
The Forward, Together Forward Scholarship is one of NIU’s most prestigious scholarships. Up to five $4,000 scholarships are awarded annually to continuing undergraduate students.
This year’s winners will be honored at a private on-campus ceremony in early March; the university will release biographical information at that time.