Hundreds of NIU students displayed their research skills, discoveries and artistry April 19 during the university’s seventh annual Undergraduate Research and Artistry Day (URAD).
Many others highlighted their important work with community-based service projects during the Community Engagement Showcase (CES).
NIU recognized the following award winners at the conclusion of the combined events.
For more information, contact the Office of Student Engagement and Experiential Learning at (815) 753-8154 or [email protected].
Arts, Education, Health, Humanities, and Social Sciences
- 1st place – Rachel Jacob with faculty mentor Beatrix Hoffman (poster #80)
- 2nd place – Zahra Muhsin with faculty mentor Bradley Peters (poster #68)
- 3rd place – Timothy Brandner with faculty mentor Susan Deskis (poster #72)
- People’s Choice – Brandi Keef Nicole Bridgewater, Herk Baring, Josh Mammen, Osama Alharthi and Jenn Pariso with faculty mentor Mahesh Subramony (poster #5)
Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math
- 1st place (tie) – Fahad Mohammedhussein with faculty mentor Sherine Elsawa (poster #12); and Lucia Cherep and Phil Blankenship with faculty mentor Doug Wallace (poster #97)
- 2nd place – Thimoro Cheng and Rebecca Dominguez with faculty mentor Narayan Hosmane (poster #71)
- 3rd place – Therese Millet, Mark Yaeger, Mark Voelker, Austin Parrin and Jacey Strohecker with faculty mentor Neil Blackstone (poster #19)
- People’s Choice – Hannah Savage, Jessica Cox, Abe Baker and Elle Baker with faculty mentor Linda Yasui (poster #29)
Humanities Award (presented by the Humanities group of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences)
- 1st Place: Zahra Muhsin, faculty mentor Bradley Peters (poster #68)
- 2nd Place: Timothy Brandner, faculty mentor Susan Deskis (poster #72)
- 3rd Place: David Lorenzo, “Right Action in Virtue Ethics and Flawed Character,” faculty mentor Alicia Finch (Oral Session 3 in the Illinois Room)
- Honorable Mentions: Rachel Jacob, faculty mentor Beatrix Hoffman (Poster #80); David Sinason, faculty mentor Amanda Littauer (Poster #66); Katy Voight, faculty mentor Heide Fehrenbach (poster #73)
2016 CES Award Winners
- 1st place – Green Office Initiative: Stuart Nissenbaum (CES poster #404)
- 2nd place – Preserve and protect our local water resources: Outdoor Adventure’s second annual Clean the Kish event: Jessica Fliginger, Hannah Kean, Melissa Stowell (CES portion poster #401)
- 3rd place (tie) – The Maple Leaf project: Erin Hernandez, Rosa Perez, Floydell Brown and Cherelle Freeman (CES portion project #406); and Emboldening Latino Youth to Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics (STEM) Fields: Shareny Mota, Alejandra Macias, Guillermo Benitez and Stephanie Salazar (CES portion project #407)