NIU’s second-year students are invited to sign up for the fourth annual Sophomore Days of Service occurring throughout February 2016.
Sophomore Days of Service, sponsored by First- and Second-Year Experience, provides several brief service opportunities for students to get involved with the NIU campus and surrounding communities.
Second-year programs, such as Sophomore Days of Service, are designed to help address students’ desire for fulfilling a sense of purpose, developing a caring community and establishing a sense of self-efficacy.
(Service is one of the four pillars of the second-year of college. Other pillars include building open and stronger relationships with peers and faculty, gaining experiences in leadership and making progress toward career goals.)
In 2015, 105 students took part in the various events.
First- and Second-Year Experience invites all second-year students to participate in this February’s activities. Volunteer spots are limited in number based on the needs of each service organization; however, this year FSYE was able to secure significantly more volunteer spaces.
Students can sign up online to participate in one or more of the 11 service opportunities available:
- Thursday, Feb. 4 – Huskies Student Food Pantry, 5 to 7:30 p.m., 401 Normal Road
- Friday, Feb. 5 – West Elementary School Fun Fair, 5:30 to 8 p.m., 240 S. Fair St., Sycamore
- Wednesday, Feb. 10 – Campus Child Care, 3 to 5 p.m., east side of Annie Glidden Road (behind Gabel Hall)
- Thursday, Feb. 11 – Campus Child Care, 3 to 5 p.m.
- Friday, Feb. 12 – Read to a Huskie, 1 to 3 p.m. and 3 to 5 p.m. (separate shifts), DeKalb Public Library, 309 Oak St.
- Thursday, Feb. 18 – Barb Food Mart, 4 to 6 p.m., Huntley Middle School, 1515 S. Fourth St.
- Friday, Feb. 19 – Feed My Starving Children, 1:30 to 5:30 p.m. (travel time included), Aurora. Transportation provided.
- Sunday, Feb. 21 – Beloved Community dinner, 5 to 7:30 p.m., location TBA in DeKalb
- Wednesday, Feb. 24 – DeKalb County Rehab & Nursing Center, 3 to 5 p.m., 2600 N. Annie Glidden Road, DeKalb.
- Saturday, Feb. 27 – Hope Haven, 1:30 to 3:30 p.m., 1145 Rushmore Drive, DeKalb.
Although Sophomore Days of Service is targeted for second-year students, any student can sign up. For more information, call (815) 753-0028 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.