Classes resume Friday after bomb threat – UPDATED

NIU Safety BulletinUPDATE AS OF 8 a.m. Friday, Oct. 9

NIU Police worked through the night and into the early morning checking buildings; all have been cleared. NIU is open for all classes, business and other activities today.

UPDATE AS OF 11 p.m.

As of about 11 p.m., all residence halls at Northern Illinois University had been searched, determined to be safe and reopened to students. They were closed shortly after 6 p.m. after a bomb threat prompted the evacuation of all campus buildings.

Police will work through the night to inspect and clear the remainder of campus buildings and all classes are expected to be held as usual Friday.

The hoax appears to be one of a series of bogus bomb threats called into a number of colleges and universities across the region this week. While the threat was quickly discredited, university officials took every precaution.

“We are taking no chances with the safety of our students, faculty and staff,” NIU President Doug Baker said. “We apologize for the inconvenience but clearly must err on the side of caution.”

All evening classes were canceled, as were all campus events, with the exception of the NIU basketball Midnight Madness at the Convocation Center. That facility was the first building swept and cleared so that students had a place to wait out the closures.

Because the nature of the threat was not specific, university officials also closed all of its branch campuses until they too could be searched and cleared. Those facilities were all cleared by about 10 p.m.

Assisting NIU Police were officers (and some K9 units) from Illinois State Police District 2 and District 15, DeKalb, the DeKalb County Sheriff’s Office, Sycamore, Kingston, the DeKalb County Emergency Management Agency and the Rockford Police and their Explosive Ordinance Disposal Unit, as well as the DeKalb Fire Department. Assisting at branch campuses were police from Ogle County, Naperville and Hoffman Estates and the Ogle County Emergency Management Agency.

Reacting to a threat phoned into campus police shortly before 6 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 8, Northern Illinois University evacuated and closed all university buildings.

At this time, the threat appears to be a hoax and one of a series of bogus bomb threats called into a number of colleges and universities across the region. However, to ensure the safety of students, police are conducting a building-by-building search before allowing anyone back into buildings.

“We are taking no chances with the safety of our students, faculty and staff,” NIU President Doug Baker said. “We apologize for the inconvenience but clearly must err on the side of caution.”

All evening classes were canceled, as were all campus events, with the exception of the NIU basketball Midnight Madness at the Convocation Center. That facility was the first building swept and cleared so that students had a place to wait out the closures.

Because the nature of the threat was not specific, university officials also closed all of its branch campuses until they too could be searched and cleared.

Check this space for further updates.

  • The Holmes Student Center has been cleared.
  • All branch campuses have been cleared.
  • Grant North residence hall has been cleared.
  • New Hall residence hall has been cleared.
  • Gilbert Hall residence hall has been cleared.
  • Neptune Complex has been cleared.
  • Northern View has been cleared.
  • CLASSES WILL RESUME FRIDAY, OCT. 9
  • Stevenson Complex residence hall has been cleared.
Print Friendly, PDF & Email