The NIU Community School of the Arts has announced its spring 2015 recital and concert schedule.
Solo and ensemble performances are featured in late April and May on the stage of the Recital Hall and Concert Hall in the NIU Music Building.
Most performances end with a reception. All recitals and concerts are free and open to the public.
For more information, call (815) 753-1450 or email [email protected].
- Tuesday, April 28: CSA Symphonette spring concert, at 6 p.m. in the Concert Hall, features works by Richard Meyer, Soon Hee Newbold and a set of variations on Paganini’s Caprice No. 24. This string ensemble for young players is directed by Linc Smelser.
- Saturday, May 2: Suzuki Violin student graduation and annual group concert begins at 10 a.m. in the Concert Hall.
- Saturday, May 2: CSA Showcase recitals are at 9 a.m., 11 a.m., and 1 p.m. in the Recital Hall. Children and adult students who take private lessons on a variety of instruments will perform short selections with an accompanist.
- Saturday May 2: CSA student recitals continue in the Recital Hall as the piano students of Georgia Price perform at 3 p.m. and the Suzuki and traditional guitar students of Eric Schroeder perform at 5 p.m.
- Saturday, May 2: The CSA Steelband directed by Yuko Asada and the NIUkulele Ensemble directed by Eric Schroeder perform at 7 p.m. in the Recital Hall.
- Sunday, May 3: The harp and piano students of Jaina Krueger perform at 1 p.m. and the Suzuki cello students of Tom Cappaert perform at 3 p.m. in the Recital Hall.
- Wednesday, May 6: CSA Guitar Ensemble performs at 8 p.m. in the Recital Hall. This group is directed by Quentin Dover.
- Wednesday, May 13: The CSA Sinfonia performs at 7:30 p.m. in the Concert Hall. This 35+ member youth orchestra is directed by Smelser.
- Saturday, May 16: The cello students of Smelser perform at 10:30 a.m. The Suzuki violin students of Ann Montzka-Smelser, Laurie Rodriguez, and Kara Eubanks perform at 1:30 and 3:30 p.m. The Suzuki piano students of Marilyn Montzka perform at 5:30 pm, completing a full day of inspiring student performances in the Recital Hall.
- Wednesday, May 20: The CSA Children’s Choir, directed by Mary Lynn Doherty, performs at 7 p.m. in the Recital Hall. “A World of Music in Song” features music from several continents performed in English, Latin, Hebrew and Thai languages.