Hundreds of Northern Illinois University students participated in the university’s sixth annual Undergraduate Research and Artistry Day, which was combined with the Community Engagement Showcase for the first time ever on Tuesday, April 21.
The event was the largest ever, and featured research, artistry and engagement projects from more than 350 students.
NIU recognized the following award winners at the conclusion of the event:
Arts, Education, Health, Humanities, and Social Sciences
- 1st place – Gabriela Crespo, faculty mentor Rebecca Houze
- 2nd place – Hayley Jackson, faculty mentor Laura Heideman
- 3rd place – Matthew Woodbury, Joshua Wardwell, Neal McNeal, Melissa–Ann L. Scotti, William Colburn, Ashley Dotson, Elliott Ihm, and Angela Grippo, faculty mentor Angela Grippo
- Honorable Mention – Jessie Shattuck, faculty mentor Valerie Garver
- People’s Choice – Lydia Moore, faculty mentor Cathy Carlson
Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math
- 1st place – Usman Beg, Carolyn Russie, and Debarati Ghose, faculty mentor Rangaswamy Meganathan
- 2nd place – William Widick and Ashley Blackwell, faculty mentor Doug Wallace
- 3rd place – Maria Duran, Alex Velazquez, Hannah Savage, Abraham Baker, Elle Baker, Linda Yasui, faculty mentor Linda Yasui
- Honorable Mention – Hannah Savage, Abraham Baker, and Elle Baker, faculty mentor Linda Yasui
- People’s Choice – Hajer Alhamdan, faculty mentor Christine Clemente Dos Santos
Humanities Award (presented by the Humanities group of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences)
- 1st place – Karissa Kessen, faculty mentor J.D. Bowers
- 2nd place – Crispin Brim, faculty mentor Sean Farrell
- 3rd place – (tie) Jessie Shattuck, faculty mentor Valerie Garver; AND Markie Striegel, faculty mentor Andy Bruno
2015 CES Award Winners
- 1st place – STEM Divas: Lori Korth, Blessy Johnson, and Katie Timmons
- 2nd place – #NIUOHANA: Melissa Cardella, Maria George, Kalum Carrion, and Alexis Malapitan
- 3rd place – Kane County Juvenile Drug Court Data Analysis Project: Betsy Bonilla, Jesslyn Truesdale, Amber Sarver, Elizabeth Casasola, and Matthew Elizalde
The event was captured in the social media posts of participants and attendees throughout the day, as chronicled below and in the NIU Newsroom.