Five Northern Illinois University students who excel in their academic and humanitarian pursuits were honored at a luncheon for 2015 Forward, Together Forward Scholarship winners the afternoon of Sunday, March 1.
The following award recipients each will receive a one-time scholarship of $4,000 for the 2015-16 academic year:
- Courtney Crutchfield of Manchester, Mo., a sophomore majoring in nursing
- Samantha Garbacz of Westchester, a senior majoring in nursing
- Elizabeth Garcia of DeKalb, a sophomore majoring in community leadership and civic engagement
- Tara Lenardi of Lisle, a senior majoring in public health
- Anthony Roberts of Chicago, a senior majoring in biomedical engineering
Funding for the scholarships was provided by an unsolicited outpouring of generosity by friends of the university who wanted to memorialize the fallen students. About 1,800 donors helped build the scholarship fund to more than $700,000. Since 2009, 35 scholarship winners have been recognized with scholarships worth $140,000.
NIU Today will take a closer look at each winner thoughout the week of March 2.