Are you an NIU student looking to make a difference?
Sponsored by the First- and Second-Year Experience Office, Sophomore Days of Service provides students the opportunity to participate in a number of service events on campus and in the DeKalb and Sycamore communities this February.
Although Sophomore Days of Service is targeted for second-year students, all Huskies are encouraged to participate.
“One of the most important tasks of the sophomore year is developing purpose,” says Denise Rode, director of First- and Second-Year Experience.
“After exploring what the university has to offer in the first year, these students often are ready to commit to a major, career, friendships and a set of values which may include service,” Rode said. “Our goal is to give them opportunities to test out their service interests in brief but significant ways.”
Kiran Gill, an NIU junior majoring in Political Science and minoring in Business Innovation and Entrepreneurship participated in the Sophomore Days of Service in 2014. She said her most memorable experience was the afternoon she spent at the DeKalb County Nursing and Rehabilitation Center reading and interacting with the residents.
“I loved being able to get off campus and give back to DeKalb,” Gill said. “Sophomore Days of Service is an excellent way to see more of DeKalb and get connected with organizations that are vital to the community. Often, the service events leave a profound impact on participants which make them want to continue volunteering at a particular organization for the long run.”
The 2015 program includes the following locations:
- Monday, Feb. 9 – Campus Child Care, 3 to 5 p.m., east side of Annie Glidden Road, DeKalb
- Tuesday, Feb. 10 – Campus Child Care, 3 to 5 p.m., east side of Annie Glidden Road, DeKalb
- Saturday, Feb. 14 – DeKalb Public Library, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 1 to 3 p.m., 309 Oak St., DeKalb
- Saturday, Feb. 14 – Feed My Starving Children, 12:30 to 5:30 p.m., 555 Exchange Ct., Aurora
- Sunday, Feb. 15 – Feed ‘Em Soup, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., 122 S. First St., DeKalb
- Thursday, Feb. 19 – Barb Food Mart, 4 to 6 p.m., Huntley Middle School, 1515 S. Fourth St., DeKalb
- Sunday, Feb. 22 – Feed ‘Em Soup, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., 122 S. First St., DeKalb
- Saturday, Feb. 28 – Hope Haven, 1 to 3 p.m., 1145 Rushmoore Drive, DeKalb
- Wednesday, Feb. 25 – DeKalb County Rehabilitation & Nursing Center, 3 to 4:30 p.m., 2600 N. Annie Glidden Road, DeKalb
- Thursday, March 5 – Huskie Student Food Pantry, 5 to 7:30 p.m., 401 Normal Road, DeKalb
Sophomore Days of Service is co-sponsored by Lambda Sigma, a national coed organization based on the pillars of scholarship, leadership, fellowship and service.
As part of the February service events, First- and Second-Year Experience and Lambda Sigma are hosting a canned food drive Monday, Feb. 9, through Wednesday, Feb. 18. All non-perishable goods can be brought to the First- and Second-Year Experience Office located in Altgeld Room 100 from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. All goods will be donated to the Barb Food Mart and Huskies Student Food Pantry.
To sign up for Sophomore Days of Service events, visit http://fsye.niu.edu/fsye.
For more information, call (815) 753-0028 or email [email protected].