NIU’s Presidential Commission on the Status of Minorities invites proposals for presentations at a one-day regional conference on diversity, scheduled Saturday, March 21, at NIU-Naperville.
Highlights of the “Diversity: Strengthening the Pillars of Community” conference include opening speaker David Stovall from the University of Illinois-Chicago and a multimedia presentation on immigration, assimilation and white privilege by Ariel Luckey.
The PCSM Diversity Conference supports NIU’s goal of improving retention (through diversity education), underscores the importance of diversity in higher education and communities and provides networking opportunities between and among students, faculty, alumni and community members from NIU and the region.
Suggested presentation topics include:
- Teaching about Minority Issues
- Diversity and Athletics
- Ability Issues in Higher Education
- Community Engagement
- Creative Conflict Resolution
- Diversifying the Humanities, Sciences or Social Sciences
- Diversity in Communities
- Diversity Strategic Planning
- Historical Perspectives
- Intercultural/Intergroup Dialogue
- Literature and Diversity
- Politics and Race
- Race, Ethnicity and Identity
- School/University Partnerships
- Social Justice/Social Movements
- Student Activism/Student Movements
- Religious Diversity
- Student Perspectives on Issues in Higher Education
- Community/Campus Policing
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Transsexual Issues in Higher Education