The State Universities Retirement System (SURS) is offering fall retirement education seminars for members enrolled in its traditional and portable plans. The following one-day seminars will be held at the SURS Naperville Outreach office located within the NIU-Naperville Education Center in Naperville. The employer-specific sessions will be held from approximately 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on the following dates:
- Thursday, October 30th – University Employees
- Thursday, November 6th – Community College Employees
Registration is required. The enrollment fee is $20 per member and $10 for a non-member guest. Lunch will be provided.
Topics will include:
- Eligibility for retirement
- Purchasing additional service credit–cost, availability, ways to purchase, how the purchase may benefit you
- How benefits are calculated under both Money Purchase (if applicable) and General Formula
- What happens when you pass away
- Death Benefits–who qualifies, amount payable
- Survivor Benefits–who qualifies, amount payable
- Applying for your retirement benefit
- What happens after you retire–Preliminary Estimated Payment stage (PEP), Taxes, Automatic Annual Increase (AAI), Returning to work after retirement
- Using the online Member Estimator
- Benefits to having a counseling appointment within four years of retirement
A tentative agenda is available online.
Please contact a SURS representative at 800-275-7877 to register.