As the 2013-14 academic year comes to a close for most, Northern Illinois University looks forward to welcoming new and returning students with a “new-and-improved” Welcome Days, beginning with new student move-in day, Friday, August 22.
A new event–the Huskie Family Welcome–will take place from 6:30 – 7:30 p.m. at the NIU Convocation Center on move-in day, and NIU faculty, staff, students and their families are invited to take part in welcoming the incoming class.
Unlike previous years when move-in day was on a Thursday, the new NIU Welcome Days format begins Friday and extends into the first week of classes, culminating with the Huskie football home opener Thursday evening, August 28, when NIU hosts Presbyterian College.
Additional highlighted events include:
- RHA Block Party on Friday, August 22, from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m.
- “Rec Fest” on Saturday, August 23, from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- “Huskie How To: Teaching New Dogs Old Tricks” on Sunday, August 24, from 1 p.m. – 2 p.m.
- Student Involvement Fair on Sunday, August 24, from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- 2nd Annual President’s Picnic on Sunday, August 24, starting at 4:30 p.m.
Additional information regarding the new Welcome Days format will be provided as it becomes available.