The NIU Community School of the Arts has announced its spring recital and concert schedule.
Soloists and ensemble performances are featured in May on the stage of the Recital Hall and Concert Hall in the NIU Music Building.
Most performances end with a reception. All are free and open to the public.
As many as 150 soloists can be heard in performance at one of 11 solo recitals in May and about 115 performers are enrolled in one of the six ensembles performing. Players range in age from 5 to adult and range in experience from beginner to advanced.
Saturday, May 3
- 9 a.m., 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. – Showcase Recitals, featuring adults and children performing solos on a variety of instruments, Recital Hall.
- 10 a.m. – Suzuki violin group performance, Concert Hall.
- 3 p.m. – Piano solos, students of Georgia Price, Recital Hall
- 5 p.m. – Guitar solos, Suzuki and traditional students of Eric Schroeder, Recital Hall.
- 7 p.m. – Joint concert featuring the NIUkulele Ensemble, directed by Eric Schroeder, and the CSA Steelband, directed by Yuko Asada, Recital Hall.
Sunday, May 4
- 1 p.m. – Piano and harp solos, students of Jaina Krueger. Recital Hall.
- 5:30 p.m. – CSA Sprites, directed by Tom Cappaert, Recital Hall.
- 6 p.m. – CSA Symphonette, directed by Linc Smelser, Concert Hall.
Wednesday, May 7
- 7:30 p.m. – CSA Sinfonia, directed by Linc Smelser, Concert Hall.
- 8 p.m. – CSA Guitar Ensemble, directed by Quentin Dover, Recital Hall.
Wednesday, May 14
- 7 p.m. – CSA Children’s Choir, directed by Mary Lynn Doherty, Recital Hall.
Saturday, May 17
- 10:30 a.m. – Cello solos, students of Linc Smelser. Recital Hall.
- 1:30 and 3:30 p.m. – Violin solos, Suzuki students of Ann Montzka-Smelser, Laurie Rodriguez, and Karen Weckerly, Recital Hall.
- 5:30 p.m. – Piano solos, Suzuki students of Marilyn Montzka, Recital Hall.
Auditions for the 2014-2015 season of CSA Sinfonia and for the summer chamber and duet camps directed by Laurie Rodriguez begin at 4 p.m. Tuesday, May 20. To reserve an audition time, call (815) 753-1450.