All campus and community members are invited to attend Northern Illinois University’s Big Bold Event on Thursday, April 24, in the Holmes Student Center’s Duke Ellington Ballroom.
A critical step in operationalizing NIU’s keystone goal of student career success guided by the three pillars of ethically inspired leadership, thriving communities and financial sustainability is to initiate face-to-face connections between faculty, staff and every student for the purposes of achieving student success, increasing retention and gaining greater understanding of student experience and choices.
Following the spring Bold Futures workshops, participants were assigned “homework,” which included speaking to students about improving the student experience in one of eight areas. Groups were challenged to engage students and develop actionable ideas based on those interactions with the following goals:
- Define and transform the “Huskie shuffle;”
- Create a campus that accommodates and celebrates all seasons of the year;
- Ensure every student knows and is known by an academic advisor who is tracking their success;
- Transform NIU from a “suitcase” culture into a seven-day-a-week collegiate experience;
- Provide effective and compelling campus connections for non-traditional students;
- Ensure the first-year residence hall experience results in student career success;
- Imagine ways to address the needs of students who conclude they can’t afford to stay; and
- Place students on a positive career track journey, including mentoring connections with alumni.
From 5 to 6 p.m., results of the student experience assignment will be on display, and four teams will be invited to produce a “Pecha Kucha” presentation.
From 6 to 7 p.m., the first-ever “jazz alley” will take place throughout the Holmes Student Center. Each entertainment area in the jazz alley will feature hors d’oeuvres and drinks in addition to the following music:
- Jazz quartet in the College Grind;
- Latin jazz ensemble in the Gallery Lounge;
- Steel pan ensemble in Ellington’s; and
- New Orleans brass band in the Duke Ellington Ballroom.
Celebrating Excellence at NIU, scheduled from April 12 to May 1, highlights the accomplishments and contributions of NIU students, faculty, staff and alumni to the university’s mission of promoting excellence and engagement in teaching and learning, research and scholarship, creativity and artistry and outreach and service during the academic year.