The Huskies took on the IUPUI Jaguars (2-9) Sunday morning at the Boylan Tennis Center.
NIU fell behind early, but came back to win the match 6-1 to stay unbeaten at home, as the team is now 7-3 with a 7-0 home record.
“This was a test for us to see if we could bounce back after a bad loss on Friday,” said head coach Patrick Fisher. “We did not handle it well initially. Our shoulders hung low, and we performed poorly in the first hour. IUPUI really took it to us in doubles. Thankfully, our pride showed and we recovered in singles.”
The Huskies found themselves in an unfamiliar position early on in this one. Up until this match, NIU had yet to drop the doubles point in any affair at the Boylan Tennis Center this year. Axel Lagerlof and Dor Amir won their match in the No. 1 against Alex Toliver and Patrick O’Neill 8-2. However, this was the only doubles match the Huskies won on the day, as they dropped the doubles point to head into singles play behind 1-0.
In singles, NIU was dominant. Huskie tennis players took each match in this portion of the event. None of the matches extended beyond the first two sets. Simon Formont won in the No. 5 against Akshay Verma 6-2, 6-2, improving his record to 10-0 this season in singles matches.
Two matches in singles play were fairly close, but the Huskies were able to dispel the opposition in both instances. Amir and Thomas Gans had an extended second set in the No. 2, and Amir claimed the seventh game of the set to win in a 6-2, 7-5 final. Jovan Zeljkovic had to grind out his two sets against O’Neill, eventually winning 7-6, 6-4.
“If we want to accomplish our goals, we need to take a step back and commit to making the sacrifices to get there,” added Fisher. “Otherwise, this may become a ‘could have been’ type of season.”
The Huskies have a busy week in front of them. NIU will take on Butler at 5 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 20. The Huskies then will host a doubleheader at 1 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 22, against Western Illinois and Dayton. All three of these matches will be at the Boylan Tennis Center in Rockford.
1. Axel Lagerlof (NIU) def Alex Toliver (IUPUI) 6-2, 6-0
2. Frederic Cadieux (NIU) def. Jason Jaruvang (IUPUI) 6-2, 6-4
3. Dor Amir (NIU) def. Thomas Gans (IUPUI) 6-2, 7-5
4. Jovan Zeljkovic (NIU) def. Patrick O’Neill (IUPUI) 7-6, 6-4
5. Simon Formont (NIU) def. Akshay Verma (IUPUI) 6-2, 6-2
6. Carlos Manzanas (NIU) def. Manuel Laboy (IUPUI) 6-3, 6-3
1. No. 37 Amir/Lagerlof (NIU) def. O’Neill/Toliver (IUPUI) 8-2
2. Gans/Bradley (IUPUI) def. Cadieux/Formont (NIU) 8-5
3. Laboy/Jaruvang (IUPUI) def. Zeljkovic/Manzanas (NIU) 8-3