Springtime at NIU means awards, not only for students who excel but also for faculty.
Professors and one instructor are recognized in several categories for their outstanding teaching and research.
Most of the accolades, such as the student-generated Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching Awards, are long-standing honors. The Presidential Engagement Professorship, meanwhile, is relatively new.
- Dan Gebo, Paul Kelter, Zhili Xiao earn Board of Trustees Professorships
- Elizabeth Gaillard, Wei Luo, Philippe Piot earn Presidential Research Professorships
- E. Taylor Atkins, Christopher Jones, Pam Smith earn Presidential Teaching Professorships
- Laurie Elish-Piper, Andrea Molnar earn Presidential Engagement Professorships
- Timothy Aurand, Rebecca Hannagan, Betty La France, Timothy Pierce honored for excellence in undergraduate teaching, instruction
- Honors names Tim Ryan as ‘Great Professor’
For the first time, the university’s spring awards were included in the new two-week Celebrating Excellence program.