The NIU Community School of the Arts has announced its schedule for winter and holiday recitals.
Soloists and ensemble performances are featured in December on the stage of the Recital Hall and Concert Hall in the Music Building.
Most performances end with a reception. All are free and open to the public.
- Wednesday, Dec. 4 – CSA Guitar Ensemble performs in the Recital Hall at 8 p.m. This group is directed by Quentin Dover.
- Thursday, Dec. 5 – The piano students of Georgia Price perform at 6:15 p.m. in the Recital Hall.
- Saturday, Dec. 7 – The Showcase Recitals are at 9 a.m., 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. Performing are children and adults who study an instrument privately with one of the many community school teachers. At 3 p.m., the harp and piano students of Jaina Krueger perform. At 7 p.m., the CSA Steelband and NIUkulele Ensemble give a joint performance. All performances are in the Recital Hall.
- Monday, Dec. 9 – The Suzuki piano students of Marilyn Montzka perform at 5 p.m. in the Recital Hall.
- Tuesday, Dec. 10 – CSA Sprites, directed by Tom Cappaert, performs at 5:30 p.m. in the Recital Hall. CSA Symphonette, directed by Linc Smelser, plays at 6 p.m. in the Concert Hall.
- Saturday, Dec. 14 – The cello students of Linc Smelser perform at 10:30 a.m., followed at 1:30 and 3:30 p.m. by the Suzuki violin students of Ann Montzka-Smelser, Laurie Rodriguez and Karen Weckerly. All recitals are in the Recital Hall.
- Sunday, Dec. 22 – The CSA Sinfonia Reunion Concert brings together nearly 100 former and current member of this high school orchestra to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the community school. The concert is at 3 p.m. in the Concert Hall. Linc Smelser conducts the ensemble.
There are several other chances to hear the Suzuki violinists perform during the holiday season.
On Sunday, Dec. 8, they are in the Ellwood House rotunda from 2 to 3 p.m. and at the Gurler House from 4 to 5 p.m. On Friday, Dec. 13, they perform between 6:30 and 7 p.m. in the Concert Hall lobby in the NIU Music Building before the Kishwaukee Symphony Orchestra holiday concert. On Wednesday, Dec. 18, the children play in the front lobby of Kishwaukee Community Hospital from 5 to 6 p.m.
Lessons, classes and ensembles in spring begin in January and registration is now open. For more information, call (815) 753-1450.