A minor accidental explosion contained within a fume hood within a lab at Northern Illinois University’s Faraday Hall on Saturday has resulted in the closure of the affected area. No injuries were reported, and the area is being assessed for damage Monday.
Saturday morning’s minor explosion was the result of a chemical reaction, and it was contained within the affected room. The NIU Department of Environmental Health and Safety responded immediately, and NIU Police and Public Safety and DeKalb Fire Department were also on the scene.
The fume hood was damaged in the explosion and is being assessed during the day Monday. More information regarding the status of the affected rooms is expected to be available at the end of the day.
The Department of Environmental Health and Safety provides the university community with professional services and expertise of qualified industrial hygienist, trained specialists in fire safety, radiation safety, biological safety and chemical safety, asbestos removal, and meteorology. EHS assists with all aspects of environmental concerns on campus including but not limited to, indoor air quality, safety training, emergency evacuation plans, fire code analysis, and hazardous material removal and disposal.