Each year at the 11th hour on the 11th day of the 11th month, the nation pauses to remember and honor its veterans with a special day.
The event included an invocation, the playing of “Taps” and speeches.
“We come out to honor a very special group of people that I call ‘The Real 1 Percent’ in our country,” said keynote speaker and Congressman Adam Kinzinger, an Air Force veteran who serves the 16th congressional district. They “are those that really, really step up to defend our country in tough times.”
The event, which was organized and hosted by the Northern Illinois University Veterans Club with support from ROTC and Military Student Services, also included the time honored tradition of a 21-gun salute.
- NIU was ranked in the top 50 “Best for Vets” four-year colleges in the country by Military Times Magazine for 2013.
- U.S. Veterans Magazine included NIU in its 2013 evaluation of the nation’s Top Veteran-Friendly Schools.
- G.I. Jobs also named NIU a Military Friendly School for 2013. Military Friendly Schools comprise the top 15 percent of schools nationwide that deliver the best experience for military students.
- U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) visited NIU in April with the aim of learning how the school has made serving veterans a priority through a range of academic, health and financial services.
- In 2010, NIU received the Governor’s Award for Excellence in Veteran’s Education.