The 11th Red & Black Fall Classic high school marching band competition tentatively begins at 4 p.m. inside the stadium. The Rockford-based Phantom Regiment Drum & Bugle Corps produces the event in partnership with the NIU Huskie Marching Band.
Marching bands from 19 high schools, including DeKalb, will perform 15-minute shows for the judges.
An added bonus is a special performance by the Huskie Marching Band, under the direction of Thomas Bough. “The Huskie Marching Band is always eager to perform,” Bough said, “be it for the enthusiastic fans in Huskie Stadium or for the hard-working and talented high school band members that perform and compete every weekend during the fall around the state of Illinois.”
All seats will be general admission, and the gates will open one hour before the first band performs. Tickets are only available at the stadium on the day of the event; sales begin 90 minutes before the first band.
Parking is in Lot K on the NIU campus (north of Route 38 and just west of Annie Glidden Road) with overflow at the NIU Convocation Center Lot 2. ADA parking will be in Lot L. Parking is $5.
The stadium does NOT allow outside food or beverage, bottles, alcohol, confetti, laser pointers and pets. Given the chilly autumn weather after sunset, appropriate clothing and blankets are recommended.
Adjudicators and clinicians include current and past Bands of America judges and Phantom Regiment design staff members. The different competitive classes are based on band size (number of musicians) rather than school enrollment.
- Marengo Community High School: 4:10 p.m.
- Yorkville High School 4:25 p.m.
- Waukegan High School 4:40 p.m.
- Willowbrook High School 4:55 p.m.
- Rochelle Township High School 5:25 p.m.
- Metea Valley High School 5:40 p.m.
- Fenton High School 5:55 p.m.
- Elgin High School 6:10 p.m.
- Argo Community 6:25 p.m.
INTERMISSION 6:40 p.m.
- Cedar Rapids Jefferson High School 6:55 p.m.
- Prairie Ridge High School 7:10 p.m.
- Maine East High School 7:25 p.m.
- Fremd High School 7:40 p.m.
- DeKalb High School 7:55 p.m.
INTERMISSION 8:10 p.m.
- Neuqua Valley High School 8:25 p.m.
- Warren Township High School 8:40 p.m.
- Plainfield Central High School 8:55 p.m.
- Oak Creek High School 9:10 p.m.
- Prospect High School 9:25 p.m.
NIU HUSKIE MARCHING BAND 9:40 p.m.
ANNOUNCEMENT OF SCORES 9:55 p.m.
For more information, call (815) 226-2835 or email email@example.com.