Nominations are due Monday, Oct. 21, to Anne Birberick in the Office of the Provost, Altgeld Hall 220B.
Following receipt of a letter of nomination, the selection committee will invite each nominated faculty member to prepare materials in accordance with the published procedure. Only full professors with tenure and at least six years of service at NIU are eligible for the award.
The Presidential Teaching Professorships were established in 1990 to recognize those outstanding teachers who have demonstrated, over time, that they:
- instill and develop in students an intensity of interest in, and an appreciation for, the value of the subject;
- apply rigorous standards to student performance, inspire students to become the best that they can be, and stimulate student growth;
- command respect and esteem as a teacher rather than merely being popular;
- demonstrate extraordinary commitment to students and their welfare, not only that the nominee is knowledgeable and prepared for class but is available to them outside of class for help with materials, for advising them, for listening to their concerns, and for assisting them with extra-class projects or activities;
- explore and develop effective instructional methods and technologies; and
- work actively with students, faculty and administrators to improve undergraduate and/or graduate education at NIU and other activities directed toward the improvement of instruction.
The procedure calls for a rigorous and thorough portfolio review including contacting former students.
Recipients will be announced in spring 2014.
Call (815) 753-8381 for more information.