The red-carpet event is open to the public and fans can help choose the Top Performance of the Year as the Huskies celebrate their academic and athletic achievements over the past year.
An all-sports, ESPY-style show, “The Victors” will feature performances, musical numbers and awards presentations by several NIU student-athletes and staff.
In addition to the individual awards, all of NIU’s 2012-13 seniors in every sport will be recognized. Awards will honor NIU’s top male and female newcomer, scholar-athlete and community service participant, as well as the top male and female teams in terms of both athletic and academic accomplishment.
The NIU Alumni Association will present the Male and Female Athlete of the Year awards. The Huskies will also feature awards for the top unsung hero, comeback of the year and non-scholarship student-athlete. Results from the 2012 spring, 2012 fall and 2012-13 winter sports were considered in the nominations and selection of winners.
Northern Illinois coaches nominated student-athletes for the awards and that list was narrowed down to four finalists in each category. The winners for every award except the Top Performance of the Year will be selected by a vote from each team and each office within the athletic department.
Top Play of the Year is solely determined by fan vote, which will come to a close at 5 p.m. Wednesday, May 1. The top plays include:
- Charlie Oliver‘s (men’s soccer) game-winning goal at Northwestern;
- Martel Moore‘s (football) 73-yard touchdown reception to help clinch the MAC West against Toledo;
- Kayra Thompson‘s (women’s soccer) goal against Toledo to help earn a MAC Tournament bid;
- Satavia Taylor‘s (women’s basketball) 23 points against Eastern Michigan; and
- Matt Mougin‘s (wrestling) NCAA Championships victory over No. 11 seed Blake Stauffer ofArizona State.
Tickets for The Victors will be available the night of the show at the Egyptian Theatre Box Office for $20. For more information, call (815) 753-1295.