NIU’s McKinley “Deacon” Davis CHANCE Program is celebrating its 45th anniversary.
In honor of this significant milestone, the CHANCE Program will offer a series of celebratory programs highlighting special initiatives and topics of interest to the campus community.
These presentations will highlight the programs history of CHANCE and the progress that the program has made to date by providing service to CHANCE students and the NIU community.
Light refreshments will be served.
PROMISE Scholars STEM Learning Community: First Year Metrics
- Noon to 1:30 p.m. Tuesday, April 23, Illinois Room, HSC
- Presenter: Denise R. Hayman, co-director and PI, National Science Foundation, PROMISE Scholars Program
- Abstract: This presentation highlights the accomplishments of the PROMISE Scholars learning community. Special emphasis will focus on the quantitative and qualitative results of the National Science Foundation-funded project.
Black Males: Give THim a CHANCE
- Noon to 1:30 p.m. Thursday, April 25, Illinois Room, HSC
- Presenters: Keyalo Gray, Christopher Mitchell and David Seymour, CHANCE counselors
- Abstract: Black Males: Give THim a CHANCE addresses the issues black males bring to NIU and provides workable solutions that promote success and support graduation.
We Are ALL M&Ms: The Ever Changing Diversity within the CHANCE Program
- Noon to 1:3o p.m. Tuesday, April 30, Illinois Room, HSC
- Presenters: Megan Chiavini and Nicholas Slicer, CHANCE counselors
- Abstract: This presentation explores what it means to be different, what it takes to be like the other and how thinking differently promotes diversity in the campus community.
CHANCE Program: Nursing Cohort
- Noon to 1:30 p.m. Tuesday, May 7, Illinois Room, HSC
- Presenter: Passion Williamson, CHANCE counselor
- Abstract: Nursing programs can present challenges for students who select nursing as a major. This presentation will demonstrate an effective way to track students who major in nursing and will offer promising practices that support graduation.
Students with Disabilities
- Noon to 1:30 p.m. Thursday, May 9, Illinois Room, HSC
- Presenter: Tracy Ash, associate director, and Esenam Amezotchi , CHANCE counselor
- Abstract: Ever wonder how to effectively work with students with disabilities or who need accommodations? The presenters will share their success working with students who may be challenged, but are often successful.
For more information, call (815) 753-0201.