NIU’s Presidential Commission on the Status of Minorities (PCSM) invites students, faculty and staff to attend its Diversity and Inclusion Summit and to nominate an outstanding student, faculty or staff member at Northern Illinois University for the McKinley “Deacon” Davis Diversity Award.
The Deacon Davis Diversity Award recognizes significant contributions made to the improvement of the status of minorities on NIU’s campus.
All current NIU students, faculty, staff, academic units, campus offices and student organizations are eligible for the award. The PCSM will give four awards this year; one award is specifically designated for a student.
Award recipients will be honored at the Diversity and Inclusion Summit and nominations are due Wednesday, April 10.
For more information on the award nomination process, contact Kay Shelton at (815) 753-1527 or [email protected]. Nominations can be submitted online; nomination forms also are available for download.
Diversity and Inclusion Summit
(formerly Friendship Abloom Luncheon)
Holmes Student Center – Sky Room
Monday, April 15
- 1:30 to 2:15 p.m. Light Lunch/ Refreshments Offered
- 2:15 to 2:30 p.m. Welcome
- 2:30 to 3:10 p.m. Diversity and Inclusion Roundtable 1 – Campus Climate
- 3:10 to 3:40 p.m. Presentation of PCSM 2013 Report
- 3:40 to 4:20 p.m. Diversity and Inclusion Roundtable 2 – Discussion of Report Findings
- 4:20 to 4:35 p.m. Break
- 4:35 to 4:50 p.m. Presentation of Deacon Davis Awards
- 4:50 to 5:30 p.m. Diversity and Inclusion Roundtable 3 – Next Steps – Diversity and Inclusion Retreat
- 5:30 to 5:40 p.m. Wrap up
This event is free and open to all students, faculty and staff. Email [email protected] by Wednesday, April 10, to confirm attendance.
For more information, contact Felicia R. Bohanon at (815) 753-1868 or [email protected].