The NIU Student Association will host two debates Wednesday, March 20, with implications for the student body.
Mayoral hopefuls from DeKalb and candidates for the Student Association Executive Branch will discuss their platforms and plans in two separate debates.
Mayoral Candidate Debate
- 6 to 8 p.m., Capitol Room, Holmes Student Center
- Invited candidates are Jennifer Groce, David Jacobson, John Rey and Mike Verbic.
- The mayoral election is Tuesday, April 9.
- SA Sen. Michael Theodore will serve as moderator.
“This is a great opportunity for students to engage and get acquainted with the future mayor of DeKalb,” SA Speaker James Zanayed said. “Please join us to hear how the new mayor plans to interact and coexist with NIU.”
Student Association Executive Debate
- 8 to 10 p.m., Diversions Lounge, Holmes Student Center
- Invited candidates are:
- Daihee Cho and Jack Barry for the office of president;
- Kaliah Smith for the office of vice president;
- Ivan Garcia for the office of treasurer; and
- Elliot Echols and Ryan Dunleary for the office of student trustee.
- Theodore again will serve as moderator.
SA election take place from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tuesday, March 26, and Wednesday, March 27, at the Holmes Student Center, Barsema Hall, Founders Memorial Library, DuSable Hall and the Student Recreation Center. All students are eligible to vote with a valid NIU One Card.
“It is essential that as many students as possible be at this debate and play an active role in our student leadership,” Theodore said. “This is a competitive election for very important positions that provide essential representation and leadership for the student body.”
For more information, call (815) 753-0483 or email [email protected].