Each student receives a prize of $250. One hundred and two students have been awarded talent scholarships by the Community School since they were established in 1996.
Ranging in age from 12 to 16, this year’s winners are from DeKalb, Glen Ellyn and Rockford. The recipients all are students in the NIU Community School of the Arts, where they receive private lessons from Ann Montzka-Smelser, Jaina Krueger and Jui-Ching Wang.
- William Jiang, 14, is an eighth-grade student at Marshall Academy in Rockford. He is the son of Yiwei Jiang and Sumei Zhoi. He is a violin student and will perform “Praeludium and Allegro” by Fritz Kreisler.
- Christine Ryzhov is a 12-year-old student at Clinton Rosette Middle School in DeKalb, where she is in the sixth grade. She is the daughter of Victor Ryzhov and Natalia Vinokur. She studies violin and will play “Tambourine” by A. Gretry.
- Alyssa Leston is the daughter of Stephen and Heather Leston. She is a seventh grade home-school student and lives in DeKalb. She is a violinist and will perform “La Folia” by A. Corelli.
- Chance Hostetler, 16, is a homeschool student in the 10th grade. He is the son of Chris and Anna Hostetler and lives in DeKalb. He studies piano and will play “Bethena” by Scott Joplin.
- Allison Kozinski, 16, is the daughter of Ted and Melanie Kozinski of DeKalb. She is a home-school student and is in her junior year. She studies piano and will perform “Prelude for Piano” by Debussy.
- Leo Thomas O’Malley, 15, is performing on violin the first movement of the “Concerto in G minor” by Max Bruch. He is the son of Christopher and LeMarie O’Malley. He is a home-school student and is in the ninth grade.
The recital is free and open to the public. It is in the Recital Hall of the NIU Music Building.
Money for the awards comes from the community school’s scholarship fund. In addition to the talent scholarships, the program also awards need scholarships. Since 1993, more than 700 scholarships have been awarded to area students to pursue the arts.
For more information, call (815) 753-1450.