The deadline for completed nomination packages is March 19, 2012. The award will be presented Sunday, April 22, by President John Peters at Honors Day.
The Great Professor Award honors an NIU faculty or staff member who has, over time, contributed significantly toward honors education at NIU. The University Honors Program recognizes the awardee by providing a $500 award and a plaque to the faculty or staff member chosen for the year.
The award recipient will have made sustained contributions over time to the enhancement of honors education at NIU through teaching as well as advising, research, artistry or service.
Recipients will have made a lasting contribution by a combination of efforts such as:
- Influencing department, college, and/or university honors curriculum
- Teaching cornerstone courses and honors seminars within the University Honors Program
- Teaching stand-alone department honors courses
- Leading honors mini-sections
- Engaging in honors capstone advising
- Supporting in-course honors contracts
- Developing a department or college-level honors program
- Advising, assisting, and/or mentoring honors students
- Supporting the University Honors living-learning community
- Advising or working closely with NIU-based honors student organizations and/or honors societies
- Engaging in sustained honors-focused research or artistry
- Offering special programming to honors students
- Providing special contributions and/or support to the University Honors Program
- Advancing Honors education in other significant ways
Past winners include Dennis Barsema, management; Nancy Castle, comunicative disorders; Jason Hawke, history; Christopher Jones, political science; Judy Santacaterina, communications; Steve Franklin, English; Carol Demoranville, marketing; Thomas Roberts, education pscyhology; Gary Glenn, political science; Nancy Nuzzo, physical therapy, and C. Daniel Dillman, geography.
- Great Professor Award Nomination Form
- A brief curriculum vitae of the nominee
- A statement describing the nominee’s fulfillment of the criteria listed above
The nomination packet, including the nominee’s C.V., nomination statement and supporting documents, should be no more than 10 pages.
Nominations (including self-nominations) will be solicited from the Council of Deans, department chairs, faculty, staff and students. Staff members of the University Honors Program and past recipients of the award are not eligible.
The Selection Committee will comprise at least five of the following eligible members: the elected faculty chair of the
University Honors Committee; a faculty member from each NIU College with an undergraduate program (normally drawn from the Honors Committee); a faculty member from University Libraries; one University Honors student; one past recipient of the award; the assistant director, program coordinator and office manager of the University Honors Program; and the associate vice provost for university honors, who chairs the committee as an ex officio member.
Send materials to University Honors Great Professor Award Selection Committee, University Honors Program, Campus Life Building 110.
For more information, call (815) 753-0694 or email [email protected].