Ceramics, design, drawing, fiber, illustration, jewelry, metal work, painting, photography, printmaking, sculpture, time arts, video and visual communication are featured.
School of Art faculty also are presenting research in art education and art history.
This exhibition provides an opportunity for the NIU and greater DeKalb and Sycamore communities to discover, or become reacquainted, with the research, ideas and artwork of these faculty members.
Participants include Michael Barnes, Blaine Bradford, Karen Brown, Todd Buck, Steven Ciampaglia, Paul J. Clark, Eric Fuertes, Billie Giese, Aleksandra Giza, Debra Grall, Cynthia Hellyer-Heinz, Rebecca Houze, Barbara Jaffee, Katie Kahn, Craig Kiefer, Jeff Kowalski, Frank Kulesa, Yih-Wen Kuo, Christine Lofaso, Kimberly Martens, Ashley Nason, Jamie Obermeier, David A. Parker, Catherine Raymond, Nina Rizzo, Charlotte Rollman, Kurt Schultz, Lee Sido, Geoffrey Todd Smith, Kryssi Staikidis, Ben Stone, Frank Trankina, Peter Van Ael, Shei-Chau Wang, Katherine M. Webb, Harry Wirth and Bart Woodstrup.
A closing reception will take place from 4:30 to 6 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 23.
Extensive public programming is planned this month and in February; check the museum’s website for more details in the new year.
- Wednesday, Jan. 25, 12:15 to 1 p.m., Altgeld 315. Artist Slide Talk on process Karen Brown: “How to Cook your Head.”
- Saturday, Jan. 28, 10 a.m. to 4:45 p.m., Music Building, Boutell Memorial Concert Hall. Symposium with Barbara Jaffee hosting: “Re-Examining the New Art Examiner.”
- Tuesday, Jan. 31, 5 to 6 p.m., Altgeld 315. Artist Slide Talk about recent residency and work produced at the Frans Masereel Centrum in Kasterlee, Belgium, Michael Barnes: “The International Residency Experience: Printing with the Kabouters.”
- Wednesday, Feb. 1, 12:15 to 1 p.m., Altgeld 315. Artist Demo Cynthia Hellyer Heinz: “Drawing: Layering the Meaning of Monster Connections.”
- Thursday, Feb. 2, 12:15 to 1 p.m., Altgeld 315. Artist Slide Talk Peter Van Ael: “A Voyage of No Return.”
- Tuesday, Feb. 7, 5 to 6 p.m., Altgeld 315. Artist Slide Talk Harry Wirth: “Art + Architecture + Design.”
- Wednesday, Feb. 8, 12:15 to 1 p.m., Altgeld 315, Artist Slide Talk Billie Giese: “Process and Story.”
- Monday, Feb. 13, 5 p.m., Museum Gallery (informal talk). Artist Talk Katie Kahn: “et in Arcadio ego.”
- Thursday, Feb. 16, 12:15 p.m., Museum Gallery (informal talk). Artist Talk “Charlotte Rollman: High Notes.”
Located on the west-end first floor of Altgeld Hall, the galleries are open to the public from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday through Friday, noon to 4 p.m. Saturday and by appointment for group tours.
Exhibitions and lectures are free; donations are appreciated.
Pay parking is available in the visitor’s lot on Carroll Avenue and at metered spots in front of Altgeld Hall. Free parking is available Saturdays and during receptions and visiting artist lectures in the lot northeast of Gilbert and College Drives.
The exhibition is sponsored in part by the Illinois Arts Council, a state agency; the Friends of the NIU Art Museum; and the Dean’s Circle of the College of Visual and Performing Arts, NIU Foundation.
Call (815) 753-1936 for more information.