Buckle up! Police will be out in force both day and night as part of the 2011 Click It or Ticket campaign.
The 2011 Click It or Ticket campaign runs from Friday, May 13, through Monday, May 30. Some law enforcement agencies already have begun their local campaigns.
- More than 500 law enforcement agencies are participating in the campaign and will be ticketing unrestrained motorists.
- The May campaign kicks off Illinois’ 11th year of Click It or Ticket campaigns. Data shows that more than 4,000 lives have been saved in Illinois since the first Illinois Click It or Ticket campaign in 2000.
- According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), research has shown that when lap and shoulder belts are used properly, the risk of fatal injury to front-seat passenger car occupants is reduced by 45 percent, and by 60 percent in pickup trucks, SUVs and minivans.
- Men: Nationwide in 2009, 68 percent of pickup truck occupants who were killed in traffic crashes were not buckled up and 66 percent of men ages 18 to 34 killed in passenger vehicles were not wearing their safety belts.
- Nighttime: In 2009, 11,593 passenger vehicle occupants died in motor vehicle crashes nationwide between the nighttime hours of 6 p.m. and 5:59 a.m., according to NHTSA.