NIU’s collaboration with community colleges is the topic of a lunchtime conversation from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Wednesday, March 30, in the Capitol Room South of the Holmes Student Center.
Speakers from NIU colleges, centers and offices will share information about the many NIU initiatives now under way with community colleges across the region.
Representatives from the Office of Sponsored Projects will describe large federal funding opportunities now emerging for partnerships with community colleges.
“This meeting should help NIU personnel understand how their individual partnerships and projects fit into the overall picture of a region with hot-button issues and urgent needs,” said Marilyn Bellert, associate director of the Center for P-20 Engagement. “If you have experience working with specific community colleges or are interested in developing new partnership opportunities, you are welcome to join the conversation.”
NIU’s work with community colleges exists at both institutional and individual faculty levels. This meeting provides an opportunity to gain an overview of:
- University issues and interests (Anne Kaplan and Earl Seaver)
- Community college relations (Paul Crawford, director)
- New adult degree programs on community college campuses (Meryl Sussman, director of Undergraduate Programs for Adults; Mary Pritchard, associate dean, College of Health and Human Sciences; Cliff Mirman, chair, Department of Technology, College of Engineering and Engineering Technology)
- Latino Resource Center activities (Emily Prieto, director)
- Regional, economic and workforce development (Mary Strub, Center for Governmental Studies)
- College readiness (Sonya Armstrong, assistant professor, Department of Literacy Education; College of Education; Marilyn Bellert, P-20 Center)
- Grant opportunities (staff from Office of Sponsored Projects)
This meeting is co-sponsored by the Center for the Interdisciplinary Study of Language and Literacy and the Center for P-20 Engagement. Bring a brown bag lunch or contact firstname.lastname@example.org to order a box lunch.
For more information, e-mail Bellert at email@example.com.