New this year: NIU’s Research Rookies program is accepting first-semester transfer students.
The Research Rookies program links students with faculty mentors in their majors or areas of interest to conduct a small-scale research projects.
Students applying must be incoming freshmen, sophomores or first-semester transfer students. Students must also be committed to participate in the program for two semesters (Fall 2014 and Spring 2015). Highly motivated students with an intended major are encouraged to apply.
Each Research Rookie will gain experience presenting his/her research at the Office of Student Engagement and Experiential Learning’s annual Undergraduate Research and Artistry Day. Students selected for the Research Rookies program will:
- Learn what research looks like in their field of study
- Learn how to write a formal research proposal
- Gain experience working alongside talented faculty
- Attend a formal reception to recognize the 2014-2015 class of students
- Receive a $500 stipend at the completion of the program
- Create relationships with other devoted students on campus