Even though temperatures are climbing into the 80s the next few days, autumn weather is allegedly heading to DeKalb next week ‚Äď just in time for Homecoming 2013.
Several activities are planned under the theme ‚ÄúGenerations of Pride,‚ÄĚ starting at 11 a.m. Sunday, Oct. 6, with Powder Puff Football in Central Park.
At the same time, teams of NIU students, faculty and staff compete will compete in ‚ÄúHuskies Can Build It!‚ÄĚ to see which can build the most interesting structure out of canned goods and non-perishable food items. Winners in each category will earn points toward the Homecoming standings. Teams that solely wish to collect cans can still compete and receive points in the ‚ÄúMost Cans‚ÄĚ category.
The annual Recyclable Boat Race begins at 4 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 8, at the East Lagoon.
Competitors design and build people-powered flotation devices. At least 70 percent of the materials used to build the watercraft must come from the waste stream (things that would normally be put in the recycling or trash). ¬†The remaining 30 percent of the material can be new , such as tape or nail. Points and medals/trophies will be awarded to first-, second- and third-place finishers.
Homecoming Court elections are held from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 9. In keeping with NIU tradition, five king and five queen candidates chosen by interviews are up for voting.
Who‚Äôs got the strongest lungs? Yell Like Hell begins at 7 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 10, at the Convocation Center.
Yell Like Hell is a spirit competition where groups prepare a dance/cheerleading presentation accompanied by the music of their choice. Visit YouTube to see Yell Like Hell talent from previous years.
A long-standing Huskie Homecoming tradition, the Homecoming Parade brings Huskies and members of the DeKalb and Sycamore communities together to troop through from Stadium Drive, down Annie Glidden Road and past Greek Row in a premiere showcase of Huskie spirit before the big game. The parade steps off at 5:30 p.m. Friday, Oct. 11.
The Homecoming Bonfire is a new tradition added to the Homecoming festivities. Scheduled from 7 to 9 p.m. Friday, Oct. 11, in the Anderson Hall parking lot, this pep-rally-like atmoshpere has one goal: to show off Huskie Spirit and get everyone pumped up for the next day‚Äôs football game.
Join Campus Recreation for the fourth annual Homecoming 5K, scheduled for 7:45 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 12.
The race begins and ends at the Student Recreation Center and tours the west side of campus, including Huskie Stadium. Awards are given to¬†first-, second- and third-place male and female finishers in each age division.
And, finally, it‚Äôs time for Huskie football and 11 a.m. tailgating¬†‚Äď for example, NIU‚Äôs LGBTQA alumni are invited to tailgate just west of the north end of the stadium ‚Äď as Heisman Trophy hopeful Jordan Lynch and Co. make only their second Brigham Field appearance of the season.
Fans are urged to wear red for the game; the first 3,000 fans will receive red T-shirts. Kick-off versus the Akron Zips is scheduled for 4 p.m.
Dance the night away and put a cap on the week‚Äôs festivities at the fourth annual NPHC Rep Yo Step After Party, scheduled from 11 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 12, through 4 a.m. Sunday, Oct. 13.
For more information, call (815) 753-1421 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.