Class of 2013 ceremonies take place in Duke Ellington Ballroom
All Huskie fans and friends are invited Friday, Oct. 11, to attend the induction of the 31st class of the Northern Illinois Athletics Hall of Fame in the Duke Ellington Ballroom inside the Holmes Student Center.
This free event will honor seven individual greats in Huskie history, including former head football coach Joe Novak, Super Bowl champion and 11-year NFL veteran Ryan Diem and women’s basketball great Denise Dove, along with a record-setting team.
The evening will begin with a cocktail reception, featuring a cash bar and light hors d’oeuvres, at 5:30 p.m., followed by the induction ceremonies at 7 p.m.
This year’s new-look extravaganza will feature theater-style seating and is free of charge to the public; those wishing to attend are asked to RSVP for reserved seating by contacting Amy Schmidt in NIU Athletics at (815) 753-1923 or email@example.com.
In addition to the 2013 Hall of Fame Class, the evening’s festivities will also include anniversary tributes to the 1963, 1983 and 2003 NIU football teams.
Announced earlier this summer, the 2013 NIU Athletics Hall of Fame Class includes:
- 2000 co-MAC Swimmer of the Year Mick Coyne (men’s swimming, 1998-2001);
- three-time All-MAC selection and 2000 All-American Ryan Diem (football, 1997-2000);
- career assist leader and two-time all-conference honoree Denise Dove (women’s basketball, 1987-91);
- 1983 NIU Sportswoman of the Year Susan Henrichsen (women’s swimming (1979-83);
- three-time NCAA Championship qualifier Dan Jacques (men’s track and field, 1969-73);
- 2002 MAC Coach of the Year and four-time MAC West Division champion head coach Joe Novak (football, 1996-2007);
- former NIU baseball head coach (1976-82), faculty member and longtime supporter of Huskie Athletics Walter Owens (coach/instructor/mentor, 1970-2007); and
- the 1991 women’s gymnastics team, the first Huskie gymnastics team to qualify for the NCAA Regional Championships.
The 2013 induction class joins the 192 individuals, 17 teams and one family that currently make up the NIU Athletics Hall of Fame, which was founded in 1978.
The 1963 NIU football team, celebrating its 50th anniversary, won the College Division National Championship with an undefeated 10-0-0 record. More than a dozen members of the 1963 team, including College Football Hall of Famer George Bork, are scheduled to attend.
The 30th anniversary of the 1983 MAC and California Bowl champion NIU football team as well as the 10th anniversary of the 2003 10-2 Huskie football team that defeated Maryland and Alabama will also be celebrated.
All current NIU Hall of Famers attending this year’s event will also be recognized.
For more information on Huskie athletics, visit www.niuhuskies.com.