Incoming first-year students are now able to pre-enroll in one of the 19 Themed Learning Communities offered this fall by the Office of Student Engagement & Experiential Learning.
This option guarantees a students a seat in the TLC of his or her choice, provided the student attends orientation and meets with an academic adviser before Thursday, July 11.
Once the student has chosen a fall TLC, the enrollment process can be completed promptly.
Pre-enrollment for TLCs has started off strong, with 70 incoming students already signing onto various TLCs. Each TLC holds between 18 and 25 students. Spaces fill on a first-come, first-serve basis, with the following number of spaces currently available:
- Building a Sustainable Future (19 seats remaining)
- Business & Society (ONLY ONE SEAT REMAINING!)
- Calculus & Physics for Engineers (seven seats remaining)
- Competing Global Perspectives (Honors-only students) (14 seats remaining)
- Conflict & Creativity: Impact of War on Art (six seats remaining)
- Developing Champions: In the Classroom, in Competition, and in Life (six seats remaining)
- Everyone can be a Changemaker (eight seats remaining)
- Exploring Health Majors (16 seats remaining)
- Health Psychology (Honors-only students) (18 seats remaining)
- Inspiring Today’s Students to Become Tomorrow’s Teacher (17 seats remaining)
- Major Exploration (two seats remaining)
- Making Your Case for Law School (14 seats remaining)
- Make a Difference: Service in Society (15 seats remaining)
- Pre-Medicine (10 seats remaining)
- Psychology: Explorations of Perception (nine seats remaining)
- Psychology: Growing a Mindset of Success (12 seats remaining)
- Technology & Social Networking: CHANCE (FULL!)
- Technology & Social Networking: CEET (18 seats remaining)
- Teachers as Ambassadors for Social Change (18 seats remaining)
Students can still enroll in a Themed Learning Community via the traditional enrollment process, which entails selecting the TLC of choice during the summer advising session, provided space is available.
The Fall 2013 TLC informational flier includes information about all of our TLCs that can be helpful when speaking with an incoming or prospective student.
NIU’s Themed Learning Communities encompass all six colleges, along with the Academic Advising Center, Athletics, the University Honors Program, the PROMISE Scholars Program and the CHANCE Program, along with various other departments and offices.