The NIU Community School of the Arts has announced its spring recital and concert schedule.
Soloists and ensemble performances are featured in May on the stage of the Recital Hall and Concert Hall in the Music Building at Northern Illinois University.
Most performances end with a reception. All are free and open to the public.
As many as 150 soloists can be heard in performance at one of 11 solo recitals in May and about 115 performers are enrolled in one of the six ensembles performing.
Players range in age from 5 to adult and range in experience from beginner to advanced.
Saturday, May 4
- 9 a.m., 11 a.m., and 1 p.m. – Showcase Recitals, featuring adults and children performing solos on a variety of instruments, Recital Hall.
- 10 a.m. – Suzuki violin and cello group performance, Concert Hall.
- 3 p.m. – Piano solos, students of Georgia Price, Recital Hall
- 6 p.m. – Guitar solos, Suzuki and traditional students of Eric Schroeder, Recital Hall.
Sunday, May 5
- 3 p.m. – Harp and piano solos, students of Jaina Krueger. Recital Hall
Saturday, May 18
- 10:30 a.m. – Cello solos, students of Linc Smelser. Recital Hall
- 1:30 and 3:30 p.m. – Violin and cello solos, Suzuki students of Ann Montzka-Smelser, Karen Weckerly, Laurie Rodriguez and Tom Cappaert. Recital Hall
- 5:30 p.m. – Piano solos, Suzuki students of Marilyn Montzka and Susan Breitner-Hurm. Recital Hall
Ensemble performances range from strings to choir to steelband.
Sunday, May 5
- The CSJazz Band performs at 7:30 p.m. in the Concert Hall. Trombonist Christopher Johnson directs. This high school age group is by audition only.
Monday, May 6
- CSA Symphonette performs in the Concert Hall at 6 p.m. CSA Symphonette is an elementary and junior high school string orchestra directed by Linc Smelser.
Wednesday, May 8
- CSA Sinfonia performs in the Concert Hall at 7:30 p.m. CSA Sinfonia is a full orchestra; admission is by audition only. The ensemble is directed by Linc Smelser.
Wednesday, May 15
- CSA Children’s Choir performs in the Recital Hall at 7 p.m. Among the pieces the group will sing is a world premiere performance of a work composed by Lee Kesselman, who will be at the concert. The work is based on an Emily Dickinson poem and is called “I’m Nobody! Who Are You?” Funding for the composition was provided by a grant from the National Endowment for the Arts. The CSA Children’s Choir is directed by Mary Lynn Doherty.
Auditions for the 2013-2014 season of CSJazz Band and CSA Sinfonia begin at 4 p.m. Monday, May 13. To reserve an audition time, call (815) 753-1450.
The NIU Community School of the Arts offers lessons and classes in music, art and theater, as well as music ensembles. It is a year-round program. Summer semester begins the week of June 17. For more information, call (815) 753-1450.