University experts to introduce films, lead post-screening chats
DeKalb’s Egyptian Theatre is partnering with the NIU College of Liberal Arts and Sciences External Programming, the University Honors Program, the Department of English, the honor society of Phi Kappa Phi and KishHealth System to host the film celebration this spring.
“Citizen Kane,” AFI’s No. 1 film of all time, closes the festival.
In addition to the film showings, NIU experts in film, theater, art, history, dance and literature will provide entertaining and informative introductions and lead post-film discussions with attendees.
Movie dates and times:
- E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial: 2 and 6:30 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 2
- Vertigo: 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 5
- Schindler’s List: 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 12
- Introduction by J.D. Bowers, associate vice provost for teacher education and associate professor of history
- Lawrence of Arabia: 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 19
- Introduction by Brian Sandberg, associate professor of history
- Gone with the Wind: 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 26
- Singin’ in the Rain: 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, March 5
- Post-film discussion by Paula Frasz, dance faculty
- Raging Bull: 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, March 19
- Casablanca: 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, March 26
- The Godfather: 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, April 2
- Introduction by Judy Santacaterina, director of the Bachelor of General Studies Program
- Citizen Kane: 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, April 9
- Post-film discussion by Self and Balcerzak.
Ticket prices for the films are $7 for adults and $5 for students and seniors. A discounted ticket package is also available for admission to all 10 films with pricing at $50 for adults and $30 for students and seniors.
Based on licensing agreements, the Egyptian Theatre will present a complimentary and rare public showing of Schindler’s List, with no ticket required for admission.
For more information or to purchase tickets, call (815) 758-1215 or visit www.egyptiantheatre.org. Become a Friend of the Egyptian and receive free movie tickets, discounts on concessions, advanced ticket purchasing for select shows and 10 percent off at participating downtown DeKalb restaurants.