In 2008, the Division of Student Affairs & Enrollment Management created an initiative called “Northern PACT” in an effort to help build a better community at NIU.
The Northern PACT encompasses five principles that outline community expectations held for our students during their time as Huskies.
The five principles include:
- JUST … where all people are valued and supported while they learn from the diversity of our community.
- CARING … where the well-being of all is supported, and service to others is encouraged.
- OPEN … where freedom of expression is welcomed, and others are respected.
- DISCIPLINED … where group members accept their responsibility, and expectations guide behavior for the common good.
- CELEBRATIVE … where traditions are honored, and both past and new rituals are embraced.
The Northern PACT is modeled and supported by all departments in the Division of Student Affairs & Enrollment Management through collaboration with other NIU academic and support service departments.
One way in which SAEM models its commitment to the spirit of the Northern PACT is through its yearly Give-A-Little event; students are urged to identify what they can do as an NIU community members and do their best to incorporate the Northern PACT in all aspects of their everyday lives, jobs and student lives.
This year, the Northern PACT is emphasizing a DISCIPLINED community.
In the spirit of establishing a community of DISCIPLINED giving, SAEM is reaching out to families in need during the upcoming holiday season. SAEM is partnering with Hope Haven in the DeKalb/Sycamore area to live the Northern PACT principles and help provide families with everyday necessities.
Staff, graduate assistants and student workers invest their time, energy and financial resources to purchase gifts for residents of Hope Haven who are currently rebuilding their personal wellness, family stability and community engagement.
For more information about the Northern PACT or the Give-A-Little initiative, contact Melanie Tucker Thompson at (815) 753-1585 or email@example.com.