The Northern Illinois University Board of Trustees today authorized the formation of a 28-person Presidential Search Advisory Committee (PSAC) to advise the board and submit candidates for the position of NIU’s 12th president.
Under Peters’ leadership, NIU has gained national and international recognition for its student focus and engagement, excellence in faculty research and teaching and successful commitments to regional economic development and community service.
Robert Boey, who has served on the NIU Board of Trustees since its inception in 1996, will chair the PSAC. The co-chair is Alan Rosenbaum, a professor of psychology who serves as president of the NIU Faculty Senate and executive secretary of the University Council.
The presidential search will begin immediately. The board expects to have a new president in place on or before July 1, 2013.
“Initiating the search for a new leader for NIU is bittersweet,” said Board of Trustees Chair Cherilyn Murer.
“President Peters has served with distinction for more than 12 years. His decision to step aside and pass the mantle of leadership and responsibility to a new president is both a challenge and an opportunity. Make no mistake, the success of the search process we are beginning today will have a direct and profound impact on the future of our great university.”
To assist with NIU’s presidential search, the board appointed Atlanta-based Parker Executive Search (PES).
Parker’s higher education search practice is one of the most highly regarded in the country, providing services to both public and private universities aggressively recruiting academic leaders. PES has conducted more than 400 successful higher education searches for chancellor, president, vice president, provost, dean, chair and director positions.
“The search process has begun” Murer said. “I am eager to see the names put forward and excited to begin this chapter in our university’s history.”
Members of the Presidential Search Advisory Committee
- Robert Boey (co-chair), NIU Trustee
- Alan Rosenbaum (co-chair), President, NIU Faculty Senate
- Dennis Barsema, Chair, NIU Foundation
- John Bruce, Graduate Student
- James Ciesla, Professor, College of Health and Human Sciences
- Mark Cordes, Professor, College of Law
- Michael Duffy IV, Associate Professor and Music Librarian, University Libraries
- Lisa Freeman, Vice President Research and Graduate Studies
- Janice Hamlet, Coordinator for Academic Diversity Programs, Office of the Provost
- Judge Anthony Iosco, NIU Trustee
- Milivoje Kostic, Professor, College of Engineering and Engineering Technology
- Todd Latham, President, NIU Supportive Professional Staff Council
- Delonte J. LeFlore, President, NIU Student Association
- Amy Levin, Professor, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Rosita Lopez, Professor, College of Education
- Michael Malone, Vice President, University Advancement
- William McCoy, Director of BELIEF Initiative, NIU College of Business
- Kathy McFadden, Professor, College of Business
- Francine Pepitone, President, NIU Alumni Association Board of Directors
- Barbara Posadas, Professor, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Deborah Robertson, Associate Dean, College of Visual and Performing Arts
- Jennifer Rosato, Dean, NIU College of Law
- Lee Shumow, Pofessor, College of Education
- Andy Small, President, NIU Operating Staff Council
- Pamela Smith, Professor, NIU College of Business
- Christian Spears, Deputy Athletic Director
- Michael Theodore, Speaker Designate, NIU Student Association
- Gregory Waas, Professor, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences