Student in the NIU Honors Program is launching a new service project called “Birthday Boxes,” and they are looking to the community for help.
Honors students are now collecting and stockpiling supplies that will be used to create “birthdays in a box” for children in need in DeKalb County and surrounding areas.
These boxes will include cards, decorations, gifts and treats and will be distributed to local service agencies which work with children in need, such as those in homeless and domestic abuse shelters.
The idea is to ensure that children ages 1 through 18 are celebrated on their special days, even when their families are of limited means.
Honors students will assemble, wrap and personalize each box and its contents as an ongoing, long-term service project.
To help, request to join the “NIU Birthday Boxes” group on Facebook.
Supplies are needed for:
- Making Boxes. Wrapping paper, ribbon, tape, scissors, shoe boxes, bows, tissue paper
- Making Birthday Cards. Construction paper, glue, glitter, markers, stickers
- Filling Boxes (ages birth to 18). Small toys, dollar store items, year-round stocking stuffers, hard candy, playing cards, bubbles, jump ropes, pencils/pens, erasers, small stuffed animals, journals/notebooks, stickers, inexpensive jewelry, craft supplies, books, teen magazines, makeup, toy cars/trucks, headbands/barrettes, nail polish, toys for babies (ages 1 and 2), flash cards, floss
- Party Supplies. Birthday party decorations, balloons, streamers, cups, plates, napkins, paper towels, forks, fruit juice
- Baking Supplies. Cans of diet soda, boxed cake mix
Donations can be mailed or dropped off at the University Honors Program in Room 110 of the Campus Life Building at the northeast corner of Lucinda Avenue and Normal Road. Call (815) 753-0694 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.